Big Lake, Alaska and The Susitna Valley News, Weather, Events, And More

Welcome to The Big Lake Times
Wednesday, January 17 2018 @ 10:34 AM AKST

Army Corps of Engineers offers permit assistance Thursdays in Palmer

AnnouncementsPeople planning construction projects this summer may need a permit from the Army Corps of Engineers. Consultations are available on Thursdays at the Mat-Su Borough Permit Center in Palmer.

News Release
U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - Alaska District
March 16, 2017

Corps offers regulatory help Thursdays in Mat-Su Borough

JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON – A regulatory specialist for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is available to meet with members of the public on a weekly basis at the Matanuska-Susitna Borough’s one-stop permit center in Palmer.

The representative is present every Thursday throughout the year to discuss the permit process for proposed projects that involve the placement of fill material or structures in waters of the United States. The office is located upstairs in the Dorothy Swanda Jones Building at 350 E. Dahlia Ave.

Currently, consultations are offered from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. on a first-come, first-served basis. Beginning May 4, special hours take effect with general questions addressed on a walk-in basis from 8 to 10 a.m. and appointments scheduled between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

The Corps’ regulatory program evaluates permit applications for most construction activities in wetlands and waterways of the United States. Under Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act of 1899, a permit is required for work or structures in, over or under navigable waters of the United States. Under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act, a permit is required for the discharge of dredged or fill material in waters of the United States, including wetlands.

The agency is committed to maintaining and restoring the nation's aquatic resources, while allowing reasonable development through fair, flexible and balanced permit decisions.

To speak with a Corps representative, people are encouraged to either stop by the borough’s permit center or arrange a meeting by calling (907) 753-2712. To submit a Department of the Army permit application or request a jurisdictional determination, send email to Details about the Corps’ Regulatory Program in Alaska may be viewed at:

# # #

Story Options

Army Corps of Engineers offers permit assistance Thursdays in Palmer | 0 comments | Create New Account
The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.